Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Review: Spartan Nights by DJ Lysander



It's been awhile since I've posted a book review, so today is a good day for one. Don't you think? 


This post is going to be a little different than some of my previous book reviews. This one is about a book named Spartan Nights. A book I edited. Now, I don't usually review books I edit--not because I hate them all and they suck. (I'm not that evil, guys. Come on cut me some slack!)

I don't usually do it because I am up in the air about whether or not I should do it based on editing etiquette 101. Should I review a book that I edited and didn't particularly care for? Should I review only the ones I liked? Should I review none of them? 
These are all questions I ask myself before saying something along the lines of: Fuck it, I'm going to take a nap or play a ridiculously monotonous game on my phone that lowers my brain-cell count by the second. 
All of that aside, I have chosen to review this book for one reason and one reason only. I liked it. 
That's right. I've liked other books I've edited as well, though not all of them have reviews. Why? Please refer to my earlier internal argument. I feel like reviewing this book. So here it is. 
Spartan Nights (Spartan #1)

Isn't the cover cool beans? One of the fun parts of editing is getting to see the cover after you've edited something. I think the artist did a great job on this. He definitely resembles Spartan. 

My Review:
This book is different than most erotic romances that I have read. This novella is told solely from a man's POV, though there is plenty of women in the story-line. The Spartan wouldn't be the Spartan if there weren't women flocking to him, lol. The Spartan is very interesting character and in spite of the cover, the story is set in present day about a man who dresses up like a Spartan to go to comic book conventions. That's right ladies, he's nerdy, he's hot, and he's an asshole. My favorite kind of hero. (Seriously).
The author takes the reader on an interesting ride where we get to experience life solely through the eyes of a guy who is used to getting his way when it comes to women. For those of you who don't particularly like male's with this sort of outlook on life, I still think you would like this book. You end up rooting for the Spartan in the end, not to mention left with a dropped jaw at the ending. I am looking forward to the sequel.
Definitely go check it out.
I give Spartan Nights 4 stars!

No comments :

Post a Comment