Thursday, December 27, 2012

Gruesday--Personal Pronouns


Hi everyone, I hope you all had a marvelous Christmas. I know I did. Here in North Texas we had a White Christmas, which is something I’ve never experienced before, so it was definitely nice and my son was very excited about it. But now that Christmas is over it’s time to get back to that Gruesome Grammar! Today (instead of Gruesday) I am having Grrrsday…? Lol… maybe I will just stick with Gruesday. Next week will go back to normal schedule and Gruesday will go back to it's regular day of the week--Tuesday.

This week I am exploring personal pronouns.

Personal Pronouns represent specific people or things . How they are used depends on:

-number-singular(I) or plural(we)
-person- 1st person (I), 2nd person (you), 3rd person (he)
-gender- female(she), male(he), neutral(we)
-case-object(us), subject(we)

As we already know from last week’s post--pronouns take the place of a noun and sometimes another pronoun.

I found a chart similar to this one online and recreated since I found it to be very helpful.
number
person
gender
Personal pronouns

subject
object

singular
1st
male/female
I
me

2nd
male/female
you
you

3rd
male
he
him

female
she
her

neutral
it
it

plural
1st
Male/female
we
us

2nd
Male/female
you
you

3rd
Male/female/neutral
they
them


Here are some examples of how these personal pronouns are used in a sentence: (The first sentence shows subject pronoun and second, object pronoun)

-I like the movie.
-He told me he loves me.

-Do you like Finding Nemo?
-I don’t understand you.

-He looked at the dog.
-He looked at him.

-What is she doing?
-The cat was her animal.

-It doesn't work.
-Where is it?

-Do you need four eggs or five?
-Did Allie and AJ buy you a Christmas present?

-They watched a movie.
-Candy and Prince went home with them.

I hope this post was helpful. Check back this coming Tuesday for a look at Possessive Pronouns. :-)

No comments :

Post a Comment